Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Learning As We Go

Parenting is hard. Every time you think you're starting to get the hang of it a new challenge presents itself. Here is our latest dilemma. Aidan goes to daycare while Brian and I work. It was the hardest decision we have had to make so far, but after weighing the pros and cons we decided that's what would work best for our family. We toured multiple childcare centers, asked for recommendations from friends, and did a lot of research. The daycare that we chose has been great! You can tell how much they work with the kids and that they truly care about them, Aidan loves going there!

Unfortunately a few weeks ago we were told some disturbing news. The daycare received a bomb threat. My heart sank when I found out. You hear a news story almost every day about school shootings, bomb threats, or kids being abused by childcare providers, but this hit too close to home. The director of the facility took the threat very seriously and handled it appropriately. Luckily it was only an empty threat. My anxiety however hit an all time high and I never wanted to let Aidan out of my sight again. Then I realized.. He is 3.. this is only going to get worse the older and more independent he becomes. 

So, instead of forcing my child to grow up to be the hermit I want him to be, I began teaching him what to do if there was an emergency; in and out of the home. It is something that all children must be taught at some point, I just thought I had a little more time. By the way- I NEVER imagined how difficult these things would be to teach. It is hard to come across as serious, but not scary, while using terminology appropriate for a 3 year old. We have went over what to do if there is a fire, with a meeting place outside. What to do if there are tornado warnings. Also how to call 911 and when it is necessary. There is a lot more that I plan on teaching him but I am trying not to overwhelm him with information so what I am saying will really sink in. 

My question is: At what age did you teach your children what to do in the event of an emergency? Any tips or tricks to make it easier?


No comments:

Post a Comment